Pages

Friday, January 15, 2016

What we're Reading..



If you came to my house you would  not see a ton of toys or decorations but a plethora of books. As my husband and I have found ourselves strolling (wait we have 5 kids..I don't think strolling quite describes our trips with kids in tow) through book stores we often quote Erasmus "When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes.” 


Our home school is extremely literature heavy. It is packed with classic fiction as well as many historical literature books.


This month I wanted to share what we are reading...


Literature:



The Silmarillion by J.R.Tolkein

My 6th grader (son) has jumped headlong into this stolen-from-his-dad's-bookshelf -kind-of book. So far he has really enjoyed the book. He will then move on to The  Hobbit as soon as he completes this book. I think I am seeing a movie marathon in our near future. 






The Chronicles Of Narnia by C.S.Lewis


My 4th grade daughter, who was once a struggling reader, has affectionately been named "Belle" (see Beauty and the Beast by Disney) because her nose is always stuck in this book...She is currently reading The Silver Chair and has become a little obsessed with all things Narnia (I think we have created a monster)


Little House In The Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder


My 2nd grade daughter is reading this book. We just finished The Courage of Sarah Noble by Alice Dalgliesh so this has been a great transition into a little larger book. She is still at the age where she reads aloud to me, this is my 3rd time to have this wonderful book read aloud and it never gets old. I think she likes to think of herself as Laura and her sister as Mary...so would that make me Ma? :)

Alfred The King by Chris Schlect


My 1st grade son is reading this book and of course we had to have a pretend sword and proper king attire to wear as he read through this primer. Veritas Press has a wonderful collection of primers for 1st graders that are rich in history and faith. These books have been loved by my other three kids when they were his age. He is also going to begin on Monday reading Bread and Jam for Frances by Russell Hoban. He is super excited because we will be making homemade jam....and who doesn't like fruit and five pounds of sugar ?


For Historical Literature:

We do our historical literature as a read aloud time. We either gather around the dinner table with hot tea and our book we are reading and I read aloud to everyone. Sometime we sit in the living room with Legos strung from one side to the other and I read to them while they play with them.. And before you ask ...they can listen while building some elaborate flying mechanism from Star Wars:) I do quiz them as I am reading just to be sure;)

As for my 4 year old...A.K.A. The Bulgarian princess...Let's say we are just trying to make it through the day without her spilling a box of Cheerios on the floor:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS